Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Plant Strong!

I am on day 14 of eating plant strong (day 13 if you count out day 1 dinner when the hubby insisted we get rid of meat and consumed previously discussed, disgusting turkey burgers). I feel so excited about these changes! It hasn't been too much of a challenge because I have eaten all of my meals at home and packed lunches for James to bring to work with dinner leftovers or wraps. Here is what a typical day looks like:

Breakfast: Green Smoothie: 8 oz unsweetened almond milk, 3-4 handfuls organic baby spinach, 2 branches dino kale, 1 banana, 1-2 cups frozen mixed berries, 1 T ground flaxseed, 1 T Plant Fusion protein powder in vanilla bean flavor

Lunch: Whole wheat wrap with garbanzo beans, spinach, diced tomato, a sprinkle of turmeric, and a drizzle of Health Starts Here balsamic dressing from Whole Foods or dinner leftovers such as the Engine2 NY Times veggie burgers which are incredible!


Snack: Depends on how hungry I am but it can be anything from a bowl of whole wheat cereal (like the Engine 2 Rip's Big Bowl) with fresh fruit or 1/4 cups cashews and a piece of fruit

Dinner: Rip's Sweet Potato Lasagna from the Engine2 diet on complicated night or on simple nights brown rice with steamed broccoli, Brussels sprouts and carrots

Dessert: Frozen grapes or frozen bananas blended into "ice cream"

Sometimes I eat more, sometimes I eat less, that is the beauty of this way of eating. I don't starve myself, I don't count my calories, I just listen to my body and if my body wants a huge bowl of cereal to tide me over until dinner,  I give it one! Simple as that. I feel amazing and clean at the end of the day, not bogged down with meat, dairy and processed foods. I am amazingly not craving the sugary sweet treats I had become so accustomed to having after dinner. It seems like I am finally tasting the natural sugars in fruits and I am enjoying them as if they were some sinful dessert....seriously I found myself oohing and ahhing over how my pink lady apple tasted the other day!

I also keep finding more and more doctors who advocate this way of eating as a way to prevent and reverse disease, lose weight and feel happy and energetic. I have loved reading this information and doing my research. It is endlessly fascinating to me and I am brainstorming ways that I can incorporate this zeal for nutrition into my career and schooling...no answers yet but who know!

No comments:

Post a Comment